How to build a skincare routine
Whether you’re young or old, male or female, a skincare routine is for everyone. Maybe you already have a skincare routine that already works for you, which is great! Or maybe you have a skincare routine which does not work for you and you wonder what you are doing wrong. No worries, we got you! In this blogpost we will show you how you can build a skincare routine that works for you.
Why a skincare routine?
First, why should you have a skincare routine in the first place? A skincare routine aims to maintain your skin in a good condition, especially when there are external factors such as UV damage and allergies which can damage your skin barrier. A good skincare routine can prevent or lessen UV damage, dry skin, wrinkles or skin issues such as eczema and acne.
What is your skin type?
Knowing what skin type you have is very important when deciding on which products you want to buy. The 4 main skin types are the following:
- Normal > It is not too dry or too oily with regular skin texture.
- Dry > Dry skin can be caused by external factors such as allergies or harsh weather. The skin is tight, cracked, flaky and rough.
- Oily > Oily skin has a porous, humid and bright appearance. It is caused by excessive oil production by your oil glands. Normally it is also paired with acne.
- Combination > Combination skin is when the skin has both oily and dry spots. The area with more oil is usually the T- zone (forehead, nose, and chin), while the skin on the cheeks is normal or dry.
The three main steps of a skincare routine which are crucial are:
- Cleaning > washing your face with a facial cleanser
- Toning > Balancing your skin with a toner
- Moisturizing > Hydrating your skin with a cream/gel
When purchasing your skincare products make sure they are suitable for your skin type. Everyone’s skin is different so a product might work for someone else but not for you, which is normal. When building a skincare routine, the 3 mentioned above should be included in your personal routine.
In addition, it is crucial to use sunscreen in the morning when you go out. Many people think you only need sunscreen during the summer when the sun is bright. However this is a misconception, the sun is always there and so there is always UV damage lurking around the corner. So, make sure to protect your skin with a sunscreen which is suitable for your skin type.
Depending on your skin issues or skin goals, you can add other skincare items to the routine. These are extra skincare steps which are not necessary but will give a boost to your complexion. These are serums, eye creams, facial masks, spot treatments etc. The world of skincare is big and there are so many ways to treat your skin. You can see it as taking care of yourself after a rough day at work and winding down.
Patience is key
Patience is key! Your new skincare routine will take up to 6 – 12 weeks before you start to notice the benefits and change in complexion. Your skin will thank you!